Mr Christian Wakefield
- Consultant Upper GI and Laparoscopic Surgeon at the Royal Hants County Hospital, Winchester since 2002
- Currently the Clinical Director for Surgery in Hampshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Mr Wakefield graduated from St. Mary’s Hospital Medical School/Imperial College in 1989. After his pre-registration year, he was appointed as a research fellow in the Academic Surgical Unit at Imperial. His original research won the prestigious Patey Prize and he was awarded a Higher Degree (MD) by the University of London.
Following his research period, Mr Wakefield entered postgraduate surgical training in the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, as part of the S.E. Scotland Basic and Higher Surgical Rotations. His main clinical interests were gastro-oesophageal disease and surgical critical care. Mr Wakefield was appointed by the University of Edinburgh as the Clinical Lecturer in Surgery and awarded the Chiene Medal in Surgery.
He became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh by examination and was then appointed as Consultant Upper GI and Laparoscopic Surgeon at the Royal Hants County Hospital, Winchester in 2002. He is currently the Clinical Director for Surgery in Hampshire Hospitals NHS Trust.
Mr Wakefield was a former Council Member of the Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons of Great Britain & Ireland and acts as a surgical mentor for Ethicon® Laparoscopic Hernia training courses.
- General Surgery
- Upper gastrointestinal disease, which includes gallstones, pancreatitis, and gastro-oesophageal reflux
- Diagnosis and management of general surgical disease, excision and biopsy of skin lesions
- Diagnostic upper intestinal endoscopy
- Abdominal wall hernias and groin hernias
- Advanced laparoscopic surgery
- Surgical critical care and emergency surgery
|Clinical Base||Requires a referral||Paediatrics||Insured||Consultant Fees|